When the very first update came out for Windows Phone 7 some carrier blocked the update from going on to their WP7 devices and now Chris Walsh a prominent WP7 hacker (one of the guys behind ChevronWP7 unlocker ) has posted a short tutorial which will allow unlocked WP7 devices to bypass the carrier and get the update directly to their Windows Phone 7 devices.
Windows Update Client running on the phone checks if the updates have been approved for your operator by checking the operator identifier info which is stored in a registry key. Using this method you will be un-branding your device (for all intend and purpose of updating your device , but this won’t remove the boot splash screen). So now your phone appears to be a generic handset to the update Servers and the update will be allowed to flow down to your device.
Warning : This required tou to have an unlocked device and that will most likely void your warranty and performing these steps means you are asking your device to behave in a way that is not recommended by Microsoft and might have side effects
So before you proceed make sure you have an HTC unlocked device, then follow the steps below :
- Download this zip file and deploy the 3 xap files onto your device.
- Run the ChevronWP7.Ringtones.xap and wait till it displays “Ringtones added… and CustClear.provxml underneath”
- Run the TouchXplorer app, navigate to My DocumentsMy Ringtones click on CustClear.provxml and select Copy from the Application Bar.
- Navigate back inside TouchXplorer to the Windows folder.
- Select paste from the Application Bar, this should scroll right to the bottom and put a copy of CustClear.provxml in the Windows folder.
- Now run the Connection Setup application and click on the Ok button (it’s the one with the tick).
And now you’re done and free to re-connect to Zune and check for updates.
so with this technically when NoDo goes up you will be all set to get the update even if your carrier blocks it.